Name: Alexandra aka Alex Elle
Where are you from?: Montgomery County, Maryland
How long have you been natural?: I have been natural for about 2 years!
1. Let’s talk about one of your most recent trips and your hair care regimen during! (Feel free to name some of your favorite products)
To be honest, I haven’t been on any trips lately but if I was to travel I would definitely need some of my staple products. I wouldn’t be able to travel without:
a. Kinky Curly Knot Today
b. My Shea butter mix
c. Spray bottle full of water
d. Miss. Jessie’s Baby Buttercreme
e. Oyin Handmade’s products
As far as a regimen, I would probably have my hair wrapped or in a flat twisted updo during the trip. I like to keep my styling low-key and I know if I was to go on vacay, I wouldn’t want to mess with it at all!
2. Did you do anything differently for your regimen while traveling?
I wouldn’t change my regimen at all if I was to travel. I think that too much change and manipulation can cause for hair disaster. My hair regimen would be the same if I was out of town for the most part.
3. What about your nighttime regimen?
My nighttime regimen is simple, I spritz my hair with water or Carol’s Daughter Leave in, twist in chunky twists if it’s not in a protective style and then I tie with a satin scarf, easy and low maintenance.
4. We all know that when we had relaxers swimming was something you had to think twice about! Have you been out swimming at all? If so how did you prepare your hair?
I’m not a big fan of the pool and I only go so far in the ocean when I’m at the beach. LOL, I am kind of scared of the water so I don’t dabble in it too much.
5. How do you wear your hair while you are on the plane?
If I was to travel by plane I would most likely wear my hair wrapped in a turban or covered with a beanie.
6. What are some complements you get on your hair while traveling (or even just around town)?
I often get “I love your hair, can I touch it?” or “Your hair is beautiful, how do you get you get it like that?” I love hair talk so it’s cool that my hair sparks convo with fellow naturals or people who just want to know more about curly, afro textured hair.
7. You just missed your flight but your entire luggage was checked. You must spend a night in a hotel. What essential products for skin and hair care is in your carry-on?
I would have to say, for my hair, my Kinky Curly Knot today and my Oyin Handmade’s travel size whipped pudding. For my face; my Cosmedicine Mattifying Face Lotion would definitely be in my carryon.
8. What do you love most about being natural? What annoys you?
I love that my hair is so versatile and coily! The end results of braided styles and such makes me super happy. What is kind of annoying is that it takes forever to do my hair because it’s so thick. I’ve gotten used to it though.
9. I admire the versatility of your hair styles that you share with your YouTube viewers, what is one product you can’t live without?
Thank you! I cannot live without my Oyin Handmade products. I love that line and literally have to have it on hand at all times.
10. I also love your style and the hair accessories you create! What is your must have “go to” hair accessory?
That’s sweet, thanks! My go to hair accessory would have to be decorative bobby pins. I can’t live without them…