Name: Alexcia Where are you from: Spanish Town, Jamaica
How long have you been natural?: Since January 2008 (3.5 years)
1. Why did you decide to do sister locks and what inspired your recent hair cut/color?
Well the decision was a process. I went away to school, couldn’t find a hairdresser to maintain my cut (think Halle Berry in swordfish + 2 inch bangs) so I found a barber and told him to “G.I. Jane me” (see pic 1)
Chiney bumps 8 months after G.I. Jane
*editors note: Chiney bumps are also know as “Bantu Knots in the U.S.
|1 year after G.I. Jane|
I’m all thumbs so anything which required styling imput from me was out so I started to look at locs.
So a year after I chopped all my hair off I got sisterlocs and after that I continued to experiment with colour (see pic 4a, 4b, 4c and 4d). N.B. I’m the worst person to ask about “proper” sisterlocs care because I broke every rule and instruction I was given about caring for my sisterlocs. LOL!
|1 week with Sisterlocs|
|3 months with Sisterlocs|
|13 months with Sisterlocs|
|20 months with Sister locs|
2. Is there a special way to maintain your locks? If so how often do you do this?
Went to sleep. Lol.
If I’m going to the beach I really don’t prepare my hair in any special way but afterwards I make sure to wash it with my regular shampoos and conditioners.
6. How do you wear your hair while you are on a plane ride?
7. What are some complements you get on your hair while traveling (and around town)?
People love the colour, the length, the shaved off side, the size of the locs.
8. What do you love about being natural? What annoys you?
I love that:
- My hair is always done.
- My hair no longer has a “Caution when wet” label.
- I can take care of my hair on my own.
|Shaved side-2.5 years with Sister locs|